6 Tips In Preventing Winter Fires
As the colder season is upon on, it is so important for you and your family to keep proper precautions in preventing house fires. Did you know that heating equipment is the leading cause of house fires? At JP Maguire, your safety is our priority.
Here are six safety tips to ensure your safety this winter season in order to prevent a house fire:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Do not forget to have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a professional.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or sleeping. Also make sure to blow out any candles before leaving or sleeping. Make sure children keep a minimum of three-foot distance away from any heaters, ovens, or fireplaces.
- Always use the specified fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms around the house at least once a month and make sure to replace batteries twice or once per year.