October is National Fire Safety Month￼
JP Maguire has been a huge proponent of Fire Safety throughout the years. We have partnered with WTNH and Kidde in past years with Operation Save a Life during fire safety month. This October, we want to highlight some important safety precautions since October is Fire Safety Month. JP Maguire values the importance of fire prevention, fire education, and family escape plans. With colder months around the corner in CT, it is important to take steps to prevent a fire.
- Do not store items near your heating sources. Keep boxes, clothing, and fuels away to avoid igniting.
- Be sure to maintain your heating source. If you have a furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or electric heat, check the equipment or have them professionally serviced.
- Keep curtains, furniture away from heating source as well as candles.
- Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and replace batteries annually. Each level of the home should have a detector.
- Get a fire extinguisher that is not expired and store them in a safe space. Read instructions on how to work properly in case of an emergency.
The National Safety Council recommends this acronym, PASS to remember the steps.
- Pull the pin.
- Aim low at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle slowly.
- Sweep the nozzle side to side.
Make sure to talk with your family to have an escape plan in case of a fire. Check out our blog post to see if your family is prepared in case of an emergency fire.
During National Fire Prevention Month, take the steps to keep your home and family safe. Explore several other tips from the National Safety Council.